Sunday, October 30, 2016

7 day meal prep for 2!

Hey friends! Tomorrow starts day 1 of my 24 Day Challenge and so I will be LASER FOCUSED with prepping. I decided to share with you my meal plan & grocery guide over the course of the next 24 days. This blog contains the first week (cleanse approved meals).




Like every week, I search online to find well balanced recipes, and then I plug them into a calendar. I'm a visual person, so this really helps me figure out how many meals I need.


From there I created my grocery list. 


INGREDIENTS

  1. ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  2.  2 teaspoons paprika
  3. 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  4. ¼ teaspoon sea salt
  5. 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  6. 4 cod filets (about 6 oz. each)
  7. lemon, cut into wedges
  8. Broccoli 




INGREDIENTS
  1. 10 Oz Fresh Spinach (or frozen Spinach, defrosted and excess water removed)
  2. 1.25 lbs 93/7 Ground Turkey
  3. 1 Large Egg, beaten
  4. 1/2 Cup Oat Flour or Breadcrumbs
  5. 3/4 Cup Onions or Green Onions, finely chopped
  6. 1 Tbsp Garlic, finely chopped
  7. 1/2 Tbsp Dried Parsley (or 1.5 Tbsp of Fresh Parsely, chopped)
  8. 2 Tsp Olive Oil
  9. 1/2 Tsp Oregano
  10. 1/4 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
  11. Salt & Black Pepper to taste
  12. Cooking Spray
  13. Optional: 1/2 Tbsp Brown Sugar or Honey (recommended if using oat flour)
  14. Frozen/Fresh veggie as side (I used broccoli)
  15. Whole grain pasta (make sure to measure portion size! :) ) 
  16. Low sugar/low sodium pasta sauce 




INGREDIENTS 
  1. 2 1/2 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth (4 1/2 cups)
  2. 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
  3. 1 1/4 cups finely chopped yellow onion
  4. 3 cloves garlic, minced
  5. 1 Tbsp chili powder
  6. 2 tsp ground cumin
  7. 3/4 tsp paprika
  8. 1/2 tsp ground coriander
  9. Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  10. 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
  11. 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  12. 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
  13. 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
  14. 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro


For serving:
  1. Tortilla strips or tortilla chips **OMIT IF ON CLEANSE**
  2.  Shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese **OMIT IF ON CLEANSE**
  3. Diced avocado, diced roma tomatoes, sour cream/plain greek yogurt (optional)


·         

Layer bottom to top:Bolthouse Farms Greek yogurt dressing or vinaigrette of choice. 
Chopped Veggies of Choice (I did tomatoes, peppers, onions, carrots)
Romaine/Green leaf/Spring mix (Whatever is on sale. I got a head of Organic Green leaf lettuce for $1.50)



INGREDIENTS

1. 2 tablespoons olive oil
2. 1 pound chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, sliced into strips
3. 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained of oil, chopped
4. 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed, cut in half, if large
5. 1/4 cup basil pesto
6. 1 cup cherry tomatoes, yellow and red, halved




INGREDIENTS
  1. 1 pound ground chicken
  2.  1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed
  3. 1 can (15-ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
  4. 1 cup frozen corn
  5.   1 can (15-ounce) diced fire roasted tomatoes
  6.  2 cloves garlic, minced
  7. 1 medium onion, chopped
  8. 1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (depending o the heat level you want)
  9. 1 cup water
  10. 1 can (10-ounces) enchilada sauce
  11.  2 tablespoons Mexican chili powder
  12. 1 tablespoon cumin
  13. 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  14. 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
  15. 3 green onions, chopped
  16. 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

I compared grocery list to what I had in my pantry/freezer, and went shopping. Here was my grocery haul. All of this food for $77!



To start, I put the ingredients to the Tortilla soup in the slow cooker.

This is a picture when its done 

Next, I started the Parmesan crusted cod with broccoli and put it in the oven.

Finished! I sampled a piece, its sooooo gooooood! 
While that was cooking, I threw some brown rice & frozen veggies (peas and carrrots) in my rice cooker with chicken broth. I am following the 24DC guide, and so I am trying to eat a veggie, protein, and complex carb with every meal. If you dont have a rice cooker, you can do the same in a pot on the stove. 



While the fish, broccoli and rice cooked, I started prepping for my turkey spinach meatballs. 

Finished product! 
The cod only took 15-20 mins to cook, and so I was able to throw the meatballs in the oven right after. Boil your water for pasta, add your sauce to cooked & drained noodles, and then throw your food in containers.

**Meal prep hack** Put frozen veggies in your container as a side. When you microwave your food, it will steam your veggies. 

Next up : One pan chicken pesto. This was extremely easy to make! 



Lastly, I made the enchilada quinoa slow cooker meal. In hindsight, I should have started this at the beginning with my other slow cooker meal and had them both cooking at the same time. 



And there you have it! 7 days of meals for 2!

If you'd like, you can also buy the grocery list and cook each meal before dinner and have the left overs for lunch. With Clint working 24H shifts at the fire station and with me working 10s at the urgent care, that is not feasible. 



Well, we are prepped and ready for this challenge! Tune in next week for another meal plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment